Tuesday, March 11, 2014

diy wooden entry hook + mason jar vase

I had this idea in my head and then low and behold a lot of other people have already thought of it. So thanks to Shanty2Chic and Cape twentyseven for inspiration and additional instructions.

So here is what I did with the remainder of that wooden board I mentioned. I had approximately 3 feet left of board. I stained with a Minwax gel stain in Chestnut 601 attached the picture hanging wire in the back the same way as described in other posts (here though I used this technique in the wood wall art and wood oil pastel posts too), then found some random screws of the right length to attach a 3 hook rack that a friend gave me. As you can see I ended up needing to touch the screws up with a little paint.





Next I attached my oil-rubbed bronze spray painted pipe clamp twisted it to the correct size to hang a Bonne Maman jam jar I held on to.



I picked up some greenish gray tinted small pebbles, a single white and green hydrangea, and some greenery to go in the jar at Joann's. Some wire cutters to trim and I was good to go.



 I would like to hang it off center over the bench coming in the front door and layer a small square burlap pin board with nail head trim like this one from Ballard Design  and a small print of this abstract piece by Nancy Ortenstone entitled In a Moment found on Art.com


Here is my crude layout with computer paper.

The rainbows in the background come from this Solar Rainbow Maker
that I adore, and received as a gift.


I temporarily moved the shoe bench (floor model purchased from Kroger Marketplace a couple years ago) back centered underneath, until I layered in the other pieces. This was also before I had the opportunity to get the floral elements.


Meanwhile, getting busy painting the interior of the door in Valspar's Redstone Blue Spruce, like I did for the exterior and interior of all the doors seen here and here. As you can see the coffee filter wreath came down while I got this accomplish seen here.


Florals added ... and a bag with scarf inside (might be trying a little hard with that). We hung curtains to the right which I hope to post about soon. I honestly have no idea how much this project cost or would cost to replicate. So sorry!! I received or reused so many of the items without cost, not to mention I always use coupons at Joanns. I would imagine that this could easily be redone under $15.

As a side note, this is our front door entry, which we rarely use and is primarily used by guests. The 'coat' closet of the moment is actually about 30 feet away across from the hall bathroom. So while this totally doesn't have enough storage for all of our stuff (can't wait to start working on that mudroom!) it will increase our functionality for guests. Have I mentioned I love having people over...



I would love to add:
-a longer entry rug maybe like this natural woven one from Pottery Barn 
-DIY pebble boot tray (I originally saw on Martha Stewart)0106_msl_pebbletray.jpg
  though I think I want mine to be shallow enough that it can slide under the shoe bench??
-a galvanized tall metal pot as an umbrella stand as well to this side of the wall.


Then still have plans to dedicate the rest of the room to library/office.