I know it is just metal brackets and shelves, but the way they put them together just makes my heart happy. Yes, I am a nerd for organization among many other things. So, needless to say this project has been on my list of things to do for quite a while. My amazing dad who helped me do the original kitchen renovation (almost a year ago the first week of Nov 2012!) really wanted me to put in a pantry with doors, but I am obsessed with having open walkways and uninhibited visual space. Not to the extent of minimalist, modern, or feng shui, but I value it. Hence, open shelves. We salvaged the shelves inside the old kitchen cabinetry and painted them with the same paint/primer we used on the kitchen cabinets. Then cut them to size with the miter saw.
Open ShelvesWe initially attempted to use 4" corner braces to attach the shelves to the wall, but they weren't long enough.
Home Depot. To save money we only got enough bracket to go about 2/3rds of the 9 ft wall, since I knew that I would be placing our trash can under the bottom shelf. We made sure it was level on the stud and just followed the directions using the drill to put the screws to the brackets (hardy har har). Then using a rubber mallet we attached the brackets where we wanted them.
I scoured the internet for labels that I could buy, make, tolerate and finally came across these Sincerely Yours. In actuality there were a lot that I liked, but felt as if I could actualize these. So I created a Word Document, measuring the size that I wanted the labels to get the font size correct. I used Lucida Handwriting and SimSun with parenthesis from the insert shape option. For layout options, in order for the text to be visible, select in front of text. As always I am happy to share, if anyone is interested! One of these days I will maybe be better at blogging and a little less primitive, to where I will embed these files upfront. Anyways, I cut your average home improvement store Kraft paper to regular paper-size, selected the heavy paper option on print and voila! I cut them to size, deciding at random to free hand round the edges and used clear laminate to attach either by jute cord to the Mason Jars or to the front of my containers. I was sooo tempted to paint my Mason Jars blue like on Sugar Studios, but on my husband's insistence resisted the urge.
So yet another mishap, rescued. This project was supposed to be a calendar, but it looked terrible as you can see below.
Lastly, a few little thoughts... my lovely and wonderful husband recently published my blog to the world of facebook. I have always been reluctant to tell anyone about my ramblings. There are so many things that people can do with their time, that I just didn't feel as if my thoughts were necessarily worth sharing. So, thank you sweet husband for being proud of me and thinking that I am worth while. And for all of those who stumble across this blog, I hope that you find my humble attempts at crafting, cooking, etc enjoyable and helpful. I certainly enjoy the process and find it fun, rewarding, and cathartic. Sometimes we all need a project that can be accomplished with ease and satisfaction.