Monday, October 7, 2013

salted caramel obsession and a fall menu

Salted Caramel Chocolate Ganache Tart
adapted from Fifteen Spatulas

Fifteen Spatula's Salted Caramel Chocolate Ganache Tart
I am not sure if mine will be as awesome of as this delectable picture, but I was in the mood for short cuts. I mean it is currently 11:20 pm, I have already been spending all day painting, cleaning, and trying to finish up the exterior of the house (more on that later), and to boot my in-laws will be here for lunch in approximately 12 hours.
Ingredients:

Oreos - crust I placed them in the bottom of muffin cups whole no questions asked

Caramel - 2 1/2 C. sugar, 3/4 C. light corn syrup, 1/2 tsp salt, 6 Tbsp butter (I only had unsalted), 1 1/2 C. heavy cream, 1 1/2 tsp vanilla

Stir sugar, syrup, and salt together at the beginning then leave it over medium-high heat, until it starts to resemble a caramel color. It will beginning bubbling for a while before this occurs. Once you have reached the desired color stir in the butter. Remove the pan from the heat and add heavy cream and vanilla. Pour the caramel over the crust/oreos. Refrigerate for approx. 3 hours until set.




Ganache - 4 oz. of bittersweet chocolate, chopped (I used Ghiradeli's bittersweet chips), 1/2 C. heavy cream, coarse sea salt for garnish

Simmer heavy cream, then pour it over chocolate. Let it sit for 60 seconds, then stir until smooth. Pour ganache over caramel tart, then refrigerate for a few hours until set.

Garnish with sea salt and enjoy. ** note these were delicious, but excessively messy. I envisioned the caramel solidifying to where you could actually peel the liner off, but that was most certainly not the case. In some instances, we merely ended up licking the caramel off while biting through the oreo and ganache.

and yes if you are curious those are star wars cupcake liners... all I have to say is that it isn't my birthday. I love that being nerdy is trendy, but I just didn't grow up with star wars as a kid. I don't hate them or anything, I am more ambivalent. Now offer me a musical and I get weak in the knees haha.


 
I also made a cheese tray with white cheddar cheese and apple slices leftover from the apple cheddar scones I made, pan-roasted pear salad with watercress, parmesan, and walnuts, and barley risotto with butternut squash. Happy to provide the recipe for the salad if there is any interest, while the risotto is available on a much older post here





.