Barley Risotto with Roasted Butternut Squash
Adapted from America's Test Kitchen Healthy
1 medium butternut squash (approx. 2 lbs) peeled, seeded, and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 Tbsp olive oil
Salt and pepper
4 C low-sodium chicken broth
4 C water
1 onion, minced (*I only used about 1/3)
2 garlic cloves, minced
11/2 C pearl barley, rinsed and drained
1 C dry white wine (I used another cup of chicken broth)
3/4 C grated Parmesan cheese
1 Tbsp unsalted butter
1 tsp minced fresh sage (I didn't have any on hand)
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
1. Adjust an oven rack to the upper middle position and heat the oven to 450 degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Toss the squash with 2 tsp oil, 1/4 tsp salt, and 1/8 tsp pepper and spread out over the prepared baking sheet. Roast the squash until tender and golden brown, about 30 minutes; set aside until needed.
2. Meanwhile, bring the broth and water to a simmer in a medium saucepan. Reduce the heat to the lowest possible setting and cover to keep warm.
3. Combine the remaining tsp oil and onion in pan. Cover and cook over med-low, stirring occasionally, util the onion is softened, 8-10 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
4. Stir in the barley, increase the heat to med and cook, stirring often, until lightly toasted and aromatic, about 4 minutes. Stir in the wine (or chicken broth) and continue to cook, stirring often, until absorbed, about 2 minutes.
5. Stir in 3 C broth and half of the roasted squash. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until the liquid is absorbed, 22-25 minutes. Stir in 2 more C broth and continue to simmer until absorbed, 15-18 minutes.
6. Continue to cook adding 1/2 C broth at a time until absorbed, 15-20 minutes longer. Remove from heat and stir in remaining roasted butternut squash, Parmesan, sage, butter, and nutmeg. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve.
Per 3/4 C serving: Cal 240, Fat 5g, Sat Fat 2g, Chol 5mg, Carb 40g, Protein 7g, Fiber 7g, Sodium 440mg