Tuesday, December 24, 2013

experimenting with brussel sprouts and pomegranate seeds recipe

So I keep losing and finding my Christmas cheer this year. One minute I am on a holiday high, the next I feel dilapidated and as if all my holiday fun with friends and family has already passed me by. Anyone else experiencing this? That and the surreal feeling as if the holiday isn't occurring at all? Don't get me wrong I have wonderful family and friends, not to mention extremely generous patients who I have gotten to enjoy time. Did I fail to mention the most important person,  a fantastically thoughtful husband. I feel overwhelmed by all of this and as if I don't deserve half of it. Yet, I can't help feeling waves of unfillment. Is it that my immediate family is thousands of miles away? Is it that my Nana, whom I have been close with ever since I lived with them through college and graduate school, is ailing? Or that I perpetually feel as if I won't ever truly be apart of my husband's family? I guess there really is no answer, but to say that despite all of this I feel loved, appreciated, and as if I wish I could do even more good in the world than I have accomplished this year.
And with that emotional tangent we get to the reason for this post: I was feeling all Christmas cheery at the store and walked out with Brussels sprouts and a pomegranate. I had tried Real Simple's Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Red Grapes recipe a couple of Thanksgivings ago, but didn't realize that I hadn't roasted them quite long enough, leaving them bitter. Not to mention the constraints of traveling 30 minutes away with the food :/. I think that recipe has just as much potential for success as this one does. Since I didn't go to the store for the ingredients I ended up making some substitutions. Below are the ingredients I used:


Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Pomegranate & Hazelnuts

-16 oz Brussels sprouts, ends trimmed and halved
-2 Tbsp olive oil
-Kosher salt and pepper
-1 Tbsp honey
-1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
-1 Tbsp lime juice
-Seeds from 1 pomegranate
-1/2 C coarsely chopped toasted hazelnuts

From there I essentially followed the directions: Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Roast the Brussels sprouts tossed with oil, salt, and pepper. Roast in the oven until light golden brown (ours were more medium) and a knife inserted into the center goes in without any resistance approximately 45 minutes. *This was a very helpful tip with the knife which was the difference between success and failure last time, though so simple and full of common sense. Place the rest of the ingredients in a bowl, then when sprouts are roasted toss them all together.

I watched this youtube video to learn how to remove the seeds from pomegranates, not the easiest task and be careful of the seeds getting places where they would stain. 

My husband felt like the recipe was delicious and I am certain that it would have been even better if I had taken the time to find pomegranate molasses as is recommended in the original recipe.
Merry Christmas to all, whether you are filled with holiday cheer or feeling a little lacking, it can be marvelous none the less.