Friday, July 26, 2013

3rd of July Cook Out Menu

So per my usual inability to capture pictures, while hosting a dinner party here is what I managed to capture from two different dinner parties. The first we hosted the 3rd of July complete with a walk to our local fireworks and some corn hole. Our menu for the 3rd of July: grilled turkey burgers, roasted sweet potatoes, a tangy coleslaw, and berry greek yogurt popsicles
 Blackberry-Strawberry Yogurt Pops (Real Simple July 2013): Using plain greek yogurt (1 3/4C) mix in 2 Tbsp sugar or agave. Next mash berries with a potato masher in a bowl with a flat base. The recipe actually only called for blackberries, but I added strawberries, once again because I was feeling patriotic. Add 2 Tbsp of sugar to the berries. Layer the berries and yogurt, starting and ending with yogurt in the container of your choice. I ended up using paper cups and plastic spoons, as I had some extra stuff lying around from my family's visit in June. Drag a toothpick through to swirl them together. Insert stick or spoon, then freeze until firm (at least 3 hrs - up to 4 days). Remove from the freezer 10 mins before serving, though ours seemed to take slightly longer than this. They were delicious! And I was honored that a friend made it her instagram of the day for 'something cold.'





Tangy Apple-Cabbage Coleslaw (America's Test Kitchen Healthy) Ingredients: 1 head cabbage I used purple but it called for green, salt, 2 Granny Smith apples, cored and cut into matchsticks, 2 scallions I skipped this, 1/3 C cider vinegar, 1/4 C canola oil, 1/4 C honey, 2 tsp Dijon mustard
Toss the cabbage with 1 tsp salt and let it sit in a colander until wilted, about an hour. Rinse it under cold water, drain, and pat dry with paper towels. Toss cabbage, apples, and scallions together in a large bowl.
 Bring vinegar, oil, honey, and mustard in a pan over medium heat and bring to boil. Pour the warm dressing over the cabbage mixture and toss to coat.
 Cover and refrigerate until the flavors have blended for about an hour. It can be made ahead of time up to a day in advance - I am glad that I read to the bottom of the recipe because I almost made it 2 days in advance and it probably would have been a soggy wilted mess. Salt and pepper to taste before serving. My guests seemed really pleased about this coleslaw and the roasted sweet potatoes, which were cut into 3/4" thick circles and tossed in chili powder, cumin, brown sugar, oregano, salt, pepper, and paprika. Sorry I don't have any pictures!

 Grilled Turkey Burger (America's Test Kitchen Healthy) Ingredients: 1.25 lbs ground turkey 93% lean, 1/2 C part skim ricotta cheese, 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce, 2 tsp Dijon mustard, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper, and all the fixins. Mix all the ingredients then I started to divide the meat up into evenly sized balls trying to handle the meat only briefly. I doubled the recipe and ended up making 11 patties by hand, though the single recipe is only supposed to make 4. Then my husband grilled them over charcoal for about 10-14 minutes. They also recommended that you tent them and let them rest for 5 minutes, but I am certain that didn't happen in our case!