Monday, February 3, 2014

superbowl food recipes take 3

Well the super bowl itself wasn't that entertaining and sadly, I felt like my foods were a little lack luster too. They were just missing a little something. I tried really hard to recreate Christopher's Pizza pepperollis, a food chain that went of business here in Nashville several years ago. I feel like I got close, but didn't quite hit the mark. Same with the cupcakes they were a little one note for me. Overly sweet, and I love sweet, without a dimensional element to the flavor. Good but just not great. Don't want to oversell or anything!

pepperollis with marinara

pizza dough  (I used publix fresh made dough)
marinara
pepperoni
mozzarella
parmesan
garlic powder
italian seasoning
olive oil

Grease a container and preheat oven to 400 degrees. Roll dough out onto floured surface into a rectangle. Spread marinara on dough, then layer pepperoni and cheese. I used too little, but I am sure that it is easy to go the other way with it too. Then roll it into a tight log, pinching the ends closed. Cut them into rolls every 2 inches. I attempted to pinch the dough edges closed on each end. Then placed in the container brushed olive oil across the top and sprinkled with garlic powder and italian seasoning. Serve with marinara for additional dipping.




cream filled chocolate cupcakes with chocolate ganache frosting

taken from Skip to my Lou

make a box mix of chocolate cupcakes per package instructions and cool

make creme filling
With electric mixer beat the following ingredients together until fluffy.

1 – 7 oz container marshmallow cream
1/2 cup softened butter
1/3 cup powder sugar
1 tablespoon water
1/4 teaspoon salt

pipe creme filling into cupcakes using either a pastry bag and tip or tip inserted into a ziploc

make chocolate ganache
Ganache Frosting
12 oz semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup heavy cream 
Place chocolate chips into a bowl and pour cream over the top. Heat in microwave until chips are soft.  Allow mixture to sit a minute to continue melting the chips. Stir well. Let mixture come to room temperature.  With electric mixer beat until fluffy. Fill pastry bag with large star tip and pipe onto cupcakes.

Enough frosting and filling for 12-15 cupcakes depending on your frosting and filling style.