Monday, January 27, 2014

whole wheat almond paste cinnamon rolls recipe

adapted from America's Test Kitchen Comfort Food Makeovers

 This cookbook is my new obsession. My husband got it for me for Christmas this year and is already appreciating it. However, he is also attempting to convince me that the recipes are 'good' for us since they have reduced calories. Haha boys! Have I mentioned that my husband is thin and has always been, despite being fed a steady diet of McDonald's growing up. That being said, the recipes are significantly better (=less bad) without losing the flavor that makes them enjoyable. So far we have made a Mexican Casserole and Corned Beef Hash with Poached Eggs and both were amazing. In order to preserve my self-esteem, normally we talk about recipes in whether or not we would want to consume them again. Needless to say all of these have made the cut.

Dough:1 C. whole wheat flour, 2 ½ C. all-purpose flour, 2 ¼ tsp. yeast, 1 tsp. salt, 1 ⅓ C. skim milk, 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter, melted, 3 Tbsp. maple syrup (I omitted this though on second thought the extra moisture could've been a plus.)
Step 1: Combine dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Attach dough beaters to your mixer.
Step 2: Combine warm milk (110°F), butter, and maple syrup.
Step 3:  Mix wet ingredients into dry on low speed until dough forms, about 2 minutes. Increase speed to medium-low and knead until dough is shiny and smooth, 4-6 minutes. Add flour as needed if too sticky.
Step 4: Transfer dough to floured counter and knead briefly with floured hands into smooth ball (don’t clean up just yet). Place dough in large greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and let rise at room temperature until doubled 2- 2 ½ hours. Since my house is not precisely room temperature, I have started proofing my dough in the oven which cuts down on the waiting time (approx. half) significantly.  Meanwhile,

Filling3-4 oz. almond paste, ¼ C. granulated sugar, 2 tsp. cinnamon1 Tbsp. unsalted butter, ⅛ tsp. salt
since johnny requested these, here he is filling as my sous chef
Step 4: Using a pastry blender combine filling ingredients til fine, crumbly texture
Step 5: Grease 13x9x2” baking pan. Transfer back to floured surface and roll out into an 18x12” rectangle, long side facing you. Mist dough with water then sprinkle with filling mixture, leaving a ½” border at top edge; press sugar to adhere. Roll dough into tight 18” log. Pinch closed at seam and roll seam side down; even ends and reshape as needed.
 Step 6: Using a serrated knife, slice dough crosswise into 12 rolls; lay cut side up in prepared dish. Cover loosely with greased plastic wrap and let rolls rise at room temperature until nearly doubled, 1-1 ½ hours. Once again I proofed for half the time.
Step 7: At this point I deviated again to refrigerate overnight. Next morning heat oven to 350° F. Bake rolls until deep golden brown, 20-25 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes on wire rack (I skipped this sorry to say was starving). Meanwhile,


Icing: 2 oz. reduced fat cream cheese, 1 C. powdered sugar, 1 Tbsp. skim milk, ½ tsp. vanilla extract
Step 8: Whisk (I used whisk beaters on my mixer) all ingredients together til smooth; spread over tops of rolls. Serve. 

Nutrition info, not completely accurate due to my deviations, but close.

Before--->After                 410--->280               15--->4              8--->2.5
                                              calories                    g. fat                 g. sat. fat