Tuesday, April 16, 2013

diy salt scrubs

I recently hosted a spa party for a few friends in which BeautiControl products were used. I wanted to personally thank everyone for coming and participating. So inspired by a previous colleague I made a scrub. Approximately a year or so ago, a colleague made all of us a Pomegranate Sugar Scrub. I ended up using Tree Hugger's recipes. I have tried a couple of the recipes thus far, including:

Rosemary Lemon Salt Scrub
from food plus words


Pour 1 cup kosher salt into your choice of container (Mason jars are always a winner in my book)
Add lemon zest and fresh rosemary leaves stripped from the stem to the top of the jar
Pour 1/2 cup olive oil over the top, then screw on the lid

To use, just give the jar a stir to mix the oil and salt, then scrub away escaping to a relaxing mediterranean destination
Should last 6 months sealed at room temperature

Citrus Salt or Sugar Scrub

1/2 cup sea salt
1/2 cup olive oil
citrus zest (I used a lot of dried orange and lemon zest with the addition of some fresh orange zest)

Mix together and enjoy!

My friend P has used this one and reported that it made her skin incredibly soft!

Now it should be noted that alternate ingredients were recommended or given as choices in some of the recipes and these are merely my interpretations. I made the Rosemary Lemon Salt Scrub when I was making Rosemary Buttermilk Grilled Chicken for a dinner party this past weekend and felt inspired by the scents and colors. Unfortunately it seems to be my downfall lately with food blogs that I start taking pictures as seen below and then get caught up in the delightful conversation. This of course leaves me with only a half completed blog. In which it you were to interpret the photos we had raw marinating chicken breasts and raw aspargus pinned into 'floats' as recommended by Steve Raichlen. When in actuality the aspargus was grilled, and I repeated the aforementioned Barley Risotto (minus the butternut squash) and finished it up with Smitten Kitchen's Cream Cheese Pound Cake and Strawberry Coulis. Oh well maybe someday, my blog will actually feature completed photos.... sigh*