Tuesday, December 4, 2012

diy rag quilt

So, my life has become complete mayhem! I know that we all feel a bit crazy and a bit overwhelmed from time to time and I am there 110%. My husband and I recently bought our first home. We are starting to hit the thirty-something mark, so it isn't as if we have rushed into anything. Though I could say the same things about many aspects of our relationship! We did get married on our 8th year anniversary of dating (though we knew each other even longer) and I love our story and our relationship as a result of the choices we have made. We went into the process having chosen a single neighborhood essentially. We have been living in an apartment in the same area and we just love being able to walk to so many things, including to the park, library, movies, and several restaurants. This meant purchasing a ranch style home in an older neighborhood. I adore older homes. I am not sure that I would quote this particular time period as my favorite... I generally would shade more towards Victorian or Bungalow style. However, that wasn't really in our price range or in the neighborhood we were interested in. So, we started this hunt with the concept that we wanted a 3 bedroom, at least 1.5 bath home with original hardwoods at least in some parts of the home, with decent energy efficiency, and at this time in our lives not too far from move in ready. Well several months down the road and a gutted kitchen later... here we are sleep deprived, creativity taxed, and now only a couple weeks from D-day (move out/in day) and our kitchen is still not quite complete (pictures to follow). Needless to say I am thrilled about owning our first home with gorgeous mature trees, no updates pretty much since it was built in 1970, and lots of charm (read 'imperfect' here), but we have probably bitten off more than we could chew. This concept is so difficult for me, because I am someone who likes to have things completed, but let the lessons in home ownership begin! However, after going in and out of every for sale house in this neighborhood I am happy to have my own mess of choices, rather than inheriting those of several people before me. But, enough said on that subject- I am sure there will be a lot more to come later.
This blog is about my little sister who is having her 3rd baby and 1st little girl, Taylor Alexis. She and my mom picked out a ton of fabric for bedding, receiving blankets and the like, so I stole some of her facebook posts of fabrics and made her a rag quilt. It has become a bit of a tradition, since I made animal ones for both of her boys (turtle pictured). Caution these colors are bright, but that is my sister, as you will see from photos of the nursery she is decorating. (Have I mentioned that Taylor Alexis will not be here until the end of January?)





 Rag Quilt
instructions taken from The Wonder
1/2 yard each of 4 patterned flannel fabrics (yeah for 1.50/yard fabric at Joann's on Black Friday!)
1 1/2 yards of white flannel
1 1/2 yards of flannel for back
thread, scissors (though I wish I had a good rotary cutter), tape measure, pins, sewing machine

1. wash and dry your fabrics!
2. Cut the 4 patterned fabrics into strips ranging from 3-5", then cut a white and back to match.
3. Sandwich them together with right sides visible, pin, and stitch right down the middle
4. Lay out your strips in the pattern that you desire, then pin and begin to stitch rows together with rough edges facing up towards the top of the blanket and backs together leaving a 1/2" seam allowance (I did this 2x2, then just kept going)
5. Trim edges to be even around the sides of the blanket, then cut rough edges on top of blanket into strips being careful to not cut stitches
6. Bind edges, by either making a blanket binding from scraps (what I did, though it was booger) or by stitching all the way around with a 1/2" seam allowance and cut the edges in strips the same as the rest of the blanket
washing it will make it just that much softer and more finished looking, I however have not gotten to that step yet!