Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Memphis in May with diy picnic blankets


For some reason it is ingrained in me that I should not go to anyone's home without bringing something to offer them and I simply love doing it! This time we went to our friend P's house in Memphis to visit and enjoy the concert series Memphis in May. MiM had an amazing line up this year, some of the highlights being Florence and the Machine, the Civil Wars, Alison Kraus, Evanescence, the Cold War Kids, and Bush. MiM doesn't allow any lawn chairs, food, or drink to be brought in though. So, I gifted P a homemade picnic blanket. I have now made several of these for friends. This time a cheated a bit by purchasing vinyl tablecloths from HomeGoods, then purchased flannel from Joann's. To make a larger blanket I purchased the flannel at a length that is twice the width of the table cloth, cut it in two, then sewed the long right sides together. You then cut the flannel and the table cloth. The flannel should be 2" shorter in length and width. Lay wrong sides together with the flannel on top. Fold the table cloth towards the flannel by one 1/2" then another 1/2" and pin to flannel. Before stitching down I also added two lengths of ribbon equally spaced at the top 1/4 of the blanket's length t act as ties. I was also able to use extra vinyl to create 'rock pockets' on one of the blankets so that you could weight the blanket down to prevent the wind from flying away.