Saturday, May 12, 2012

Mahi Mahi Fish Tacos recipe

This week it was time for some summer fun, especially after spending an amazing weekend taking in Memphis in May with friends. There is something so summery for me about seafood and cilantro! And these tacos were delicious. A few years ago I would have been skeptical: fish? and tacos? not a marriage I was interested in; however the Sunspot restaurant on Knoxville, TN's strip changed my mind about this. A weird place to grow an appreciation for fish tacos I will admit, but their food is delicious. Next time that you want to take in the Great Smoky Mountains, which I would highly recommend for the hiking (and not Pigeon Forge's ghastly array of go carts and mini golf), make a detour through Knoxville and eat at the Sunspot. I could wax nostalgic for a while about all the things I love about Knoxville, but I will leave you just one more tid bit. If you decide to go hiking there make sure to check out this amazing hiking website: hiking the smokies. It has never failed to disappoint us and I miss hiking so much on the weekends.
Ok now back to amazing fish tacos. Make these savor them and while you are cooking them consume some delicious chips and salsa while dancing around your kitchen singing to The Head and the Heart, just one of the many great bands at MiM, and thanks to my friend M for introducing them to me!

Baja Grilled Fish Tacos
Serves 4

cabbage slaw for topping                                      1 small head of cabbage shredded, 1/4 C minced fresh cilantro, 2 Tbsp cider vinegar, 1 tsp canola oil, 1/4 tsp salt                                                               1. Toss all of the ingredients together, set aside for serving
chipotle mayo spread                                                     1 Tbsp minced fresh cilantro, 3/4 C light mayo, 1 Tbsp fresh lime juice, 2 tsp minced canned chipotle chile in adobo sauce, 1 garlic clove minced, salt and pepper to taste                                                      2. Combine all ingredients, set aside for serving
the fish                                                                  2 tsp chili powder, 1/2 tsp ground coriander, 1/4 tsp ground cumin, 1/8 tsp salt, 1/8 tsp pepper, 3 tsp canola oil, 4- 6oz skinless mahi-mahi fillets, 12-6" corn tortillas, lime wedges (for serving)                             3. Combine the spices in a bowl. Pat the fish dry with paper towels, brush with the remaining oil, then rub spice mixture on evenly.
4. Grill on a charcoal or gas grill until fish is opaque, approximately 10-14 minutes, gently turning approximately halfway through. (AMT has lots of great suggestions and specifications for grilling which I did not include, as my husband took care of the grilling. When I attempted to relay their instructions he gruffly told me that he knew how to operate a grill and he did a great job as always, look at that sear! He loves being the 'grill master' and having barbecues.)
5. They suggest grilling the tortillas, but I cheated and heated them up in the kitchen, per package instructions.
6. Cut each fillet into 3 equal pieces. Smear the tortilla with the chipotle mayo, top with cabbage slaw, a piece of fish, and generous squeeze of lime. 

per serving (3 tacos): Cal: 540, Fat: 20g, Sat Fat:2g, Chol: 130mg, Carb: 52g, Protein: 36g, Fiber; 6g, Sodium: 900mg