Monday, March 12, 2012

Eggplant Parmesan Rollatini Recipe

I don't know if everyone feels this way, but I am on an uphill battle to eat enough vegetables and enjoy a wider variety of them. So here is one of my many attempts to do just that. I have to admit that I still don't enjoy the skin, but the rest was great! Not to mention I love love love my subscription to Real Simple that my husband gets me annually. It is such a great combination of enjoyable recipes, fashion, design, product reviews, and book reviews.
Eggplant Parmesan Rollatini
Taken from Real Simple

Ingredients: 4 Tbsp olive oil, 2 large eggplants (sliced lengthwise, approx. 16 total), 1 1/2 C marinara sauce, 2 large eggs, 1-15 oz container ricotta (I used low fat), 2 tsp dried oregano, 2 C grated mozzarella, 1/2 C parmesan
1. Heat oven to 450. Divide the oil between 2 rimmed baking sheets. Dividing evenly, arrange the eggplant slices in a single layer on the baking sheets and turn to coat in the oil; season with 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper.
2. Bake the eggplant, rotating the baking sheets halfway through, until soft and beginning to brown, 12-15 minutes, let cool. Reduce heat to 400.
3. Meanwhile, in the bottom of a 13x9" pan spread 1/2 C marinara sauce. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, ricotta, oregano, 1 C mozzarella, and remaining salt/pepper.
4. Place about 3 Tbsp of ricotta mixture on one of the eggplant, roll it up, and transfer to the prepared baking dish. Continue
5. Top the eggplant rolls with the remaining marinara sauce, remaining mozzarella, then sprinkle with parmesan.
6. Bake until the cheese has melted and the sauce is bubbling, 20-25 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes before serving.
Per Serving (8 total): 355 calories, 24g fat, 106mg cholesterol, 744mg sodium, 19g protein, 18g carbs, 9g sugar, 6g fiber, 2mg iron, 371mg calcium

I only made a half batch and would comment that the olive oil soaked into the eggplant really quickly so be cautious of that so that it can make its way to both sides. In addition the nutritional info is listed as if no changes or lower fat cheeses were used. I also apologize for the lack of step-by-step pictures!