Sunday, February 5, 2012

Valentine's cookies recipes


This is a reoccurring theme, but I love to make things for my family. In the birthday care package that I sent them recently I also included valentine cookies. I made two different kinds adpated from Taste of Home.


 Valentine Butter Cookies (yield 18-19 dozen)
2 C butter, softened
2 C sugar
3 eggs
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
3 C whole wheat flour
3 C all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
Red decorator's sugar, optional

1. In a very large bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs and vanilla; mix well. Combine flour and baking powder; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
2. Using a cookie press* fitted with the heart disk, press dough 2 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Decorate with sugar if desired. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes or until set (do not brown). Remove to wire racks to cool completely.

*This was my first time using a cookie press and I have to admit that for me it was not worth the while. Both of the cookies were delicious, but anytime the cookie dough became too sticky the cookie press would act up and create huge cookies that did not at all look like hearts. I would take simple rolling cookies out any day over that mess. Plus for some reason they think that you want 18-19 dozen. I had to keep thinking of more people to send them too!



 Frosted Valentine Cookies (yield 3 1/2 dozen)
2 C butter, softened
1 C confectioner's sugar
2 C whole wheat flour
2 C all purpose flour
2 C quick cooking oats
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp almond extract
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 lb semisweet or milk chocolate confectionery coating, melted
Pink confectioner's sugar icing, optional

1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add flour, oats, extracts, and salt; mix well.
2. On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 3-in. heart shaped cookie cutter
3. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes. While cookies are warm spread melted chocolate on tops. Cool on wire racks. Using a pastry bag, decorate with pink confectioner's sugar icing if desired. (*I skipped this part due to lack of time unfortunately)

~Sabrina